Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default What's the current sweet spot (price/performance) for ledlighting.

On Jan 3, 5:30*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Jan 3, 5:16 am, *wrote:
The previous thread got WAY off track on mercury poisoning.
I want to hear about LED lighting ONLY.

Led is overpriced, poor color, no more efficent than Cfls, its a waste
of money.

They are much more efficient that CFLs you idiot.

Really? *Philips has a LED "bulb" that draws 7W and they claim it's
roughly equivalent to a 40W incandescent. *(if that's anything like the
brightness claims for 1st-gen CFLs, they're probably dimmer.) *They also
cost something like $50 apiece. *or I can get a 15W GE CFL that is
brighter than either for a couple bucks. *Hmmm... *so if I *could* get a
LED "bulb" from a major mfgr. bright enough to light a small bedroom,
it'd draw *more* than 7W... *yeah, I don't see the savings there.

Don't get me wrong, I think LED technology is quite possibly the longer
term future of residential lighting, but it certainly doesn't make sense
for the average consumer, at least not yet. *It would be nice to have an
option that plays nice with dimmers though...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My Ace hardware Lights of America Led is crap. LOA usualy doesnt
decieve as their flourescent line is great, but their 7w Led I tested
in a dark room, it put out nowhere near a 9w HD cfl , it actualy only
put out about what a 9w christmas tree bulb iluminated. Ratings on
leds are deceptive since its a directional light, as you need in a
flashlight, and in that case they are great. But a spotlight Led
doesnt make a good room light candidate, its a spot. Red, Blue, leds
are real efficent, but white ones are not white they are I believe UV
with filters to make them white so actual efficency is very low,
someday they will develop a good one but I pass on what is sold for
room lighting. Now a Led in a ceiling can may be fine, then there is
color rendition, Cfls were ugly grey for years and the leds ive seen
dont look as pleasant as incandesant or halogen or a good cfl. Now
consider price and I pass. Those are 3 good reasons to pass on Leds.