Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default Workshop Heat - Natural Gas

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 18:30:05 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

Yeah, it is cold is SE Kansas. The kerosene heater + help from an
electric cube heater does a pretty good job but looking to upgrade.

When we built the house last year we had the plumber provide a "T",
valve and plug in the basement for future routing of natural gas
through the basement sill into the garage. I am wanting to put a
permanent heat solution in the 1,000 sf. garage shop that will
minimize impact on floor space. The garage is pretty well insulated
with 6" walls, R-19 overhead and insulated and well mounted overhead
doors.

I was wondering what kind of experience is available from rec'ers in
the following areas:

- Overhead Furnaces
- Wall-Mounted Ventless
- Overhead infrared
- Anything I have not listed

As usual, cost is important but so is a reasonable fast warm-up rate.
My kero unit can pull temperature up about 20 degrees in 1 to 1-1/2
hours on a pretty cold morning (15-30 degrees). Regarding cost I must
consider both installation and longer-term cost to operate the
system. Operating cost is probably most important.

Any help appreciated.

RonB

I have a stand alone building with a woodstove no problem with heat.
When I built it I did multiple layers of gravel and insulation under a
6" slab, and can heat the 16x32x10' space with a 1500 watt heater most
of the year. If not a code problem pellet stoves are great.

Mike M