Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default more basic stamp IO

Karl Townsend wrote:
My winter project is a microcontroller to ventilate and water my
greenhouse/high tunnel. Parallax has a sale on controllers with free
shipping through tomorrow. I plan on using Opto 22 boards and IO blocks for
this project. Parallax makes a module just for this:
http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchR...9/Default.aspx

(parallax part number 27945 if link above breaks)

I did a count this morning and this is no where near enough IO. Parallax
makes a 40 pin stamp with 32 IO that would work. But they don't make the
above module for it. I don't want to paint myself into a corner. Should I
look at building a custom 27945 module for the 40 pin stamp? (I don't
normally do this kind of work) Or is it no big deal to use two stamps and
link them to communicate? Other ideas?

Karl

Some alternatives to look at as well, Karl.

Eagle 50 - starting below $50
http://micromint.com/index.php/SBC/eagle-50.html

RTC180 Zylog Z180 with ROM monitor or BASIC180 - $288
http://micromint.com/index.php/RTC/rtc180.html

RTCv25 16 bit 8086 compatible - Under $500
http://micromint.com/index.php/RTC/rtcv25.html

Or, something considerably more retro?
A brand new 1 megahertz (COUNT IT!) Kim One compatable SBC - $99
http://www.brielcomputers.com/micro-KIM.html

THIS is the kind of thing I was talking about earlier.

--

Richard Lamb

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power
to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour...
Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."