Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 45 ACP ammo

I cited. You don't read.
Martin

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 22:30:54 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

These are the fine folks that forced the low lead batteries onto us.
Those that have medium power ability and flake off to nothing.

The rational - taking lead off the road - false stats again.

Since when did the PTBs ever use rational thought to create laws?

Remember we really
use the heck out of the battery now-a-days - with the headlights
on at all times - and putting around in town without enough power
to charge a battery up, thus depleting and drawing high currents.

That's simply not true, Martin. Just running through the gears to
35mph is plenty of rpm for the alternator to maintain a full charge to
the battery.

Headlights draw 55W apiece and it takes hours to run a battery down
with the engine off. Show me cites to the battery destruction,
please. I simply don't believe it. (ex mechanic here)

For a test, with the engine idling, turn your heater, headlights, and
the radio on with your auto aimed at the garage door. You'll see the
lights dim a bit with everything on. That shows a battery discharge
situation. Now give it a tiny bit of gas. Once the RPM comes up to
about 1,000, the lights are on full, showing a charging situation.
When you're driving, even at 25mph, your RPM seldom comes below 1,000.
That's enough to keep the battery fully charged every time you drive
and it's why the car starts every time you try. STARTING is the only
high-draw situation for most car batteries.

Hell, the boombox stereos with 1kw amps take more power than the
lights nowadays, but those idiots _deserve_ to have their batteries
self- destruct. Rap "music" is a crime against nature.

This displaces large amounts of lead and this makes for a weak plate.

Cites?

Cold weather is hardest on them - electrolyte is low on ionic ability.

Up north, they use battery tapes - heater tapes for pipes ... to keep
the battery warm for better current flow and ionic exchanges.

Northerners can have that climate. I'll wait for AGWK to warm up SoOr
a bit more for me.

--
Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness.
--Thomas Paine