Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Electrical Question

Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:36:44 -0800 (PST), thebigguy
wrote:

I have a small wiring job to complete and was wondering if it is
better to use the screw terminals or the holes on the back to wire
outlets and such?

It is often stated that it is better to use the screw terminals,
wrapping the wire 3/4 clockwise around the screw. I use electrical
pliers to form a "J" and a regular screw driver to tighten it down.
The backstabs are often used by electricians to reduce installation
time.

I also use my long needle-nose pliers to close up the J into a tight
loop before I snug up the screw. I don't install many outlets, so the
extra few seconds per outlet is cheap insurance. I HATE having the old
stiff wires walk off the screw as I am Z-folding everything back into
the box. Be careful on how much insulation you strip off- it sucks when
a hot lead shorts to the box. You should barely be able to see the bare
copper under the screw, if you did it right.

--
aem sends...