Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Whats your opinion of this low cost compact Solar Water HeaterCollector please ?

wrote the following:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4669902_sola...paign=yssp_art

Copper rolls come in 60' rolls which makes it easy and compact to
build a Solar Collector around. I reckon one roll would provide
enough hot water for a 40 gallon water heater in FLorida...but another
roll could always be implemented easy enough. Price on a roll of 3/4"
copper runs about $140 with maybe another $50 in misc. collector box
materials, making it awefully inexpensive . A suitable heavy duty
water pump runs about $140 ,

What do u think ? Have you got a solar collector ? Please share.
Thanks.

I have about 100' of black plastic tubing which I use to help warm the
inground pool water in the late spring-early summer.
The pool water is about 55-57º F when I open it. Within a week it is in
the 70's.
The tubing is coiled with 4 wooden spacers of my own making to keep it
coiled without overlapping. It is about 8' feet in diameter.
One end has an adapter to screw it into one of the dischargers, the
other un modified end just spills into the pool.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY