Posted to rec.woodworking
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default old lathe ID help

wrote in message

inherited an old lathe, and i know little about them. looks
pretty simple,
but no plate or label anywhere. the lathe pully does say
"Craftsman", but
googling around i found nothing similar. the base stand is home
made, and
it is a very sturdy workbench and vise set up so its worth
keeping, and if i
can learn and do some turning i think it will be a nice addition
to the
garage.

My Dad gave me one back somewhere around 1955, and from my memory,
yours is identical or its kissing cousin, down to even the gold
paint. Mine was from Sears and the motor and mount were intended
to be supplied by the owner. As I recall- I was a kid- the motor
pulley was included, but no belt or motor mount/hinge mechanism.
It was a darned good old, rugged tool. You should be able to make
your own steady rest. Going on a 55 year old recollection, the
headstock was just a machined piece that fit over the spindle with
3 or 4 teeth to hold the wood, and the tailstock was a bushing
type, at best. This was about as primitive and basic a lathe as
you could get.

I sold mine when I left for college, so maybe it's my old one.
Enjoy it.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.