Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] sorrybutnospam@sorryagain.com is offline

Default old lathe ID help

inherited an old lathe, and i know little about them. looks pretty simple,
but no plate or label anywhere. the lathe pully does say "Craftsman", but
googling around i found nothing similar. the base stand is home made, and
it is a very sturdy workbench and vise set up so its worth keeping, and if i
can learn and do some turning i think it will be a nice addition to the
garage.

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1262541385
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1262541385
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1262541385
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1262541385

questions:

1) the motor is 1725 rpm; is there a guide to know what my rpm will be for
the lathe using the various combinations of the step pullies? the motor has
a 4-step, lathe a 3 step. i guess i can do the math - equal sizes would
yeild 1725, and then i guess its a matter of factoring in the ratio
difference of the circumferences .......

2) it is apparently missing a tool rest and the spindle to hold the stock on
the power end. (my uncle had it set up with a grinding wheel) will the
spindle look like the one on the idle end? can i buy one that will fit?
any pics of what is missing would help, i can send them to my cousin who has
access to the shop where this was stored and she can look and see if they
are there.....

3) the motor is mounted on a pipe to swivel, making it very easy to change
pullies, but it this typical? i assume the weight of the motor provides
enough tension? the picture is in the "up" position
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1262541385

anyway, it is now dissassembled, cleaned and repainted, and ready for
reassembly.....

thanks in advance...

David