Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna DeLong Donna DeLong is offline

Default What to do with 4 Digital Satellite Receivers (foreclosed home came with them)

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 14:06:53 -0500, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

even if you "buy" a DirecTV receiver or Digital Video Recorder,
it is considered to be leased and remains the property of DirecTV

Interesting. That would mean I can't sell them but I don't really want to
go to that trouble for 20 bucks each anyway. That's one reason why I was
wondering what good they were (to me).

DirecTV refused to reactivate them for the new "owner"

Oh. I didn't think about the "reactivation" needed. So, if I wanted DirecTV
or the Dish Network, I'd have to call them to activate the 4 receivers and
they would if money wasn't owed on them?

write to DirecTV ... and ask what you should do with them

I should do this. The only thing I'm worried about is that they'll want to
also remove their two dishes on the roofline boards (it doesn't seem clear
who owns them even though they're "attached" to the house).

If DirecTV says they don't want them back ... do whatever you want

This is a reasonable plan. I don't actually have any "plans" for the 4
satellite receivers (Sony SAT-B55 Digital Satellite Receiver; Sony SAT-B65
Digital Satellite Receiver; DirectTV H10 HD Receiver;DirectTV H11 Satellite
Receiver).

I was just wondering if the satellite receivers were "useful" to me in some
way.

Apparently the only real use for satellite receivers is for me to sell them
to someone who has DirecTV or Dish Network; but that's not worth it for me
for the 20 bucks each would fetch on Craigslist.

As for the dishes... The older round or slightly elliptical ones are
being replaced for High-Definition service via new satellites.

These look round and are about a foot and a half in diameter. Does that
make them the old ones or the newer ones?