Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia Allodoxaphobia is offline

Default Connecting 2 PCs modem-to-modem

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 16:20:44 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:
I know it can be done, but am having trouble making it work.

The idea is to connect 2 PCs directly through their modems. Not cable
modems, ordinary 56K modems. I call it my "Poor Man's Network".

Whoa! This brings back memories! Several hundred years ago -- back in
the DOS 5.0/6.0 and Windows 3.1 days -- we ran The $25 Network in our
SOHO. It used the serial ports on the machines for their connection.
IIRC, the drives on all the other machines appeared as 'extra' drive
letters on each machine, and a common printer could be shared, as well.

I'd be surprised to find that software sourced anywhere... (I might
have it on either a 5 1/4" or 3.5" disk in one of the lower stratums of
a basement closet.)
Then again, this might be that piece of sotwa

http://www.funkymonkey.ie/file-archi...ileinfo&id=117

Another, undated, web page makes reference to the $25 Network. And,
straining my failing memory, the address listed seems Very Familiar:

http://www.jamesroe.com/astro/$25net.htm

All it took was the DOS-based program and an RS-232 cable you could
cobble up yourself.

gl & hny
Jonesy
--