Steve Almond

Default Dark Wax Finish on Oak

I've applied 3 coats of wiping polyurethane to an English oak cabinet. My
intention is to finish with wax, applied using 0000 wire wool.
I had two colours of Liberon Bison wax - neutral and Dark Oak. The neutral
looked fine (just like the poly finish, only with a nice satin sheen). The
Dark Oak was rather startling - the wax made the grain stand out with the
black grain fleck highlighted.

My question - is the Dark Oak wax a reasonable idea? Are there any downsides
to introducing this grain enhancement at this stage in the finishing
process?

To be honest, it just seemed too easy!

Steve