Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default Early Continental engine question again

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:39:45 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

Anybody have a recomendation for the creankcase oil to be usde in a 1911
Continental 4 cyclinder gasoline/ kerosene engine?

I'd think modern detergent oils (API SG) would be just fine, the
trick is finding a straight 30-weight oil since the whole world has
shifted to multi's. If you go with a modern multi-viscosity so it's
easy to find stay on the heavier side in the summer, like a 10W30.

If it doesn't have an oil filter(and it has a pressurized lube oil
system) add one - you should still be able to find a "Purolator
Military Junior" filter shell that takes bypass cartridge elements and
is fairly period in appearance. It'll skim off all the big chunks.

Even if it's "period" I would NOT try to find a non-detergent oil.
Unless you like overhauling it a lot more often - there's a reason oil
has evolved over the years, it lubricates a whole lot better now.

-- Bruce --

I have a Lincoln SA 200 that has the add on oil filter. They can be used
with a roll of toilet paper as a filter, and do a fine job. With the new
rolls, though, one has to roll some off to make it small enough to get in
the canister.

Steve