Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Unvented gas logs question

"dpb" wrote in message
I have read in many places that one should never leave unvented gas logs
on
when they are unattended, but I cannot find out why. I would presume
that
the reason(s) must be related to CO, O2 depletion, and/or fire.

Basically, it's a CYA disclaimer for a general statement.

Specifically, it could be any of the above.

Realistically, it's common sense.

Well, mebbe not so common sense, if one has faith in all the protection,
sensors, etc.
BUT, a little practical paranoia goes a long way.... I don't leave even
electric heaters unattended!
I'm not crazy about my gas furnace cycling on and off with no one in the
house....

But without a doubt CYA....

But a note on "unvented":

I was thrilled to find some traditional gas "radiant" ventless heaters.
So I bought two, for my shop, ran gas lines, the whole 9....

What a disappointment -- indeed, altho apparently one doesn't outright DIE,
one does choke a bit.... goodgawd....
And the water vapor can *soak* the wall above the heater. You need a
dehumidifer mounted right on top of the unvented gas heater.

You don't really choke-choke, but goddamm, you can -- at least *I* can --
literally *taste* the resulting air.

I don't think CO or oxygen depletion were involved, as I'm pretty sensitive
to CO, and the place is drafty, but the unpleasantness of these ventless gas
heaters was distinct, even on low.

Funny, tho, the stove doesn't have this unpleasantness that these heaters
had, so it might have been some contribution from the radiant ceramic
element, as well.
Water vapor will *always* be a problem, however -- less so if the place is
so dry you actually *need* some moisture.

Buyer beware.
--
EA