Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default working with foam board?

Jules wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 17:21:09 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:
1) It appears that in an effort to make a tight fit, I cut the foam
board just a little big. Is there an easy way to shave it down a
little? It doesn't "shave" well with a knife. Am thinking Surform
file? Or will that just make a mess?

I've cut it with a blade designed for metal cutting in the jigsaw before;
it doesn't generate a lot of mess.

A bit of resistance wire and a junk PC power supply should work too.

2) What do you use to glue it?

Hmm, never tried. Gorilla glue might work...

cheers

Jules

eventual resolution - I took it out on the deck and used a belt sander
to knock it down. Worked OK as long as I kept the sander at about a 45
degree angle to the board, otherwise it'd chatter.

Had a tube of PL premium that had been kicking around way too long, just
used about half the tube, that seems to have done the trick

put half the plug in the scuttle hole overnight and it got down to about
20 degrees, when I popped it up to tidy up in the attic this AM the
topside was cold as heck but the surface of the Masonite felt warm.
That's a good sign. Was only two layers (R-20) whereas my final
assembly will be 3 layers and should be about R-30 so hopefully this
will solve the cold closet problem. (attic was probably colder than
previously as well because 2 of 3 attic vents had birds' nests in them,
which I removed and re-screened while I was up there.)

I did see the recommends to build an insulation dam around the opening,
but I'm out of foam board so that'll have to wait for another day. Good
idea though.

I also saw the post about using fiberglas batts, you have no idea how
much I hate fiberglas insulation and how much nicer I find solid foam to
be. Personal preference I guess.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.