Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jim Hall[_4_] Jim Hall[_4_] is offline

Default Is there a good way to drill a 12" long 3/8" dia hole in a lamp turning..?

I want to turn a couple lamp stands, about 12" high/long for our bedroom
bedside lamps. I've been mulling over best time and way to drill the 12"
long hole through the center for the cord and brass pipe for attaching
the light fixture. I have a drill press in addition to the lathe.. I
suppose I could drill the hole on the lathe before I turn the piece and
some how use the hole to center the blank on the lathe before turning to
make sure the drilled hole is centered. Is that how you would do it..?
Thanks.. -Jim