Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Early Continental engine question again

On Jan 2, 1:24*am, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:39:45 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

Anybody have a recomendation for the creankcase oil to be usde in a 1911
Continental 4 cyclinder gasoline/ kerosene engine?

* I'd think modern detergent oils (API SG) would be just fine, the
trick is finding a straight 30-weight oil since the whole world has
shifted to multi's. *If you go with a modern multi-viscosity so it's
easy to find stay on the heavier side in the summer, like a 10W30. *

Straight weights are relatively easy to find at the auto parts places,
just not in every brand. Non-detergent might be harder to find, but I
wouldn't recommend it unless the thing has been freshly overhauled and
you need some break-in lube for the first few hours. Considering the
state of lubricating oils when it was built, anything we've got now
has got to be a whole lot better than what was run in there
originally. If it's just a splash lube system, you're going to want
to change oil a lot more frequently than with a pressurized filter
system and probably the first few ought to be at short intervals to
get rid of loosened-up junk.

Stan