Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Gotta Love It

Steve Turner wrote:

On 1/1/2010 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
dhall987 wrote:

Clearly I personally do not find anything wrong or even
slightly out of place with having a drink (non-alcaholic of course)
while I drive.

It is terrible to sip a beer over an hour's drive, but it is acceptable
to pound down a few and jump behind the wheel.

In CT they were trying to change the law. It is OK to have an open
container as long as it is not the driver's.

Both the open container laws and the driving while talking in a cellphone
laws
are "no brainer" low-hanging fruit for law enforcement. It's easy to
catch the perpetrators because the offending cause of "evil" is in plain
sight; never mind that fact that the presence of an open container or a
cellphone doesn't
prove any sort of impairment on behalf of the driver. I can chug a beer
before I walk out the door on my way to the store to pick up some milk and
not be "impaired" by any measure of the law, but if I drink it slowly
along the way I'm in violation.

When I first moved to Texas years ago, it was an open container state; one
could drink while driving, you just couldn't drive while impaired. Having
come from Colorado, a state where that was against the law, I was initially
amazed. However, it didn't seem to be a major contributing factor to any
worse statistics than elsewhere. I know that they enacted an open container
law several years later. Not sure if it was driven by statistics or by
federal fiat threatening the loss of highway funds.

FWIW, I very seldom (less than one glass of wine every 6 months or more)
drink, can't stand even the smell of beer (it tastes like stale bread to
me), so I don't have a dog in this fight other than keeping those who are
really impaired off the road.

Rob Leatham