Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default But I thought tree give off carbon dioxide

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 17:46:59 -0500, the infamous Ned Simmons
scrawled the following:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:17:56 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:38:47 -0500, the infamous Ned Simmons
scrawled the following:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:29:39 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

How efficient would you say a wood burning stove or fireplace is, Ned,
compared to a professionally run and serviced heating boiler system?
DOH!

Catalytic stoves are rated as high as 80%, while modern gas furnaces
are 90%+ efficient. But there are too many variables in woodstove
design and operation to rely on a single number. So a 2 to 1 ratio is
a conservative number, erring in favor of gas, and close enough to
debunk a claim of 40x CO2 emissions from a woodstove.

Crikey! We'll just have to agree to completely and antithetically
disagree on this one, too, Ned. Ciao!

I'm always willing to be disagreeable g, but I'm not sure what the
disagreement is, unless you still think a woodstove emits 40x the CO2
a gas furnace does.

Right, it's a helluva lot more pollutants than 2x, as you state. In
real life, not everyone runs catalytics (yet), either.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?