Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.satellite.tv,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default What to do with 4 Digital Satellite Receivers (forclosed home came with them)

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:47:39 -0800, Donna DeLong
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:27:06 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE wrote:

I see them all the time in second hand stores. Someone must want them.
Actually I think electronic hobbyist buy them.

Maybe someone can tell me what good these are.

Here are the four that were left, cordless, in the house (all with cards):
* Sony SAT-B55 Digital Satellite Receiver (card in rear slot)
* Sony SAT-B65 Digital Satellite Receiver (card in front slot)
* DirectTV H10 HD Receiver (card in front slot)
* DirectTV H11 Satellite Receiver (card in front slot)

Good for nothing unless you subscribe to DTV service and activate the
units. Likely they would send a new card (?) for the boxes.

What would a typical person do with these 4 boxes (and the two dishes on
the tile roof)?

Acquire "satellite" signals from space, for your television viewing.

Are you certain the dishes are mounted on the roof?! They sometimes
need adjustment, so going on the roof is burdensome. In my town of 2
million people, I've never seen one on the roof.

Check to see if they are mounted on the fascia board with lag bolts,
and not on the roof. Simple to remove using a ladder and hand tools.