Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Electrical boxes -- screw size?

On 01/01/10 02:32 pm, RBM wrote:

I have mislaid the screws that originally held one of those old ceramic
light sockets in place on a hard plastic ("Bakelite"? Or is that a British
name?) box.

What size and thread are those screws?

Not sure what your asking for, but there are ceramic lampholders that screw
to 3 and 4 inch round boxes, which use 8/32 machine screws

8-32 was my guess, but it just pushed through the first hole. Worked
fine in the second hole, so I used a sheet-metal screw in the first
hole, which I assume had a stripped thread.

Perce