Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any difference?

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:32:06 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Don Foreman wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:31:37 -0800, "Steve B"

On 2009-12-31, Steve B wrote:
I need a piece of 5/8" rod for a center pin for a boat roller about
12"
long. Will there be any difference in cold versus hot rolled for this
app?
Very very little roller movement over the period of time. Think I may
just
tack a washer on each end, and keep it simple. Or should I drill and
put a
cotter key, at least on one end so it can be removable if needed?
What is the weight of the boat? And length of the roller?

Assuming that it is just a fishing boat and the roller is under 10
inches, I would think that any rod you can find would hold up just
fine.

I decided not to use rollers on my trailer.
The keel sits on 2*12s laid on top of the steel cross members.

The problem is the angular difference between the boat and the trailer
when they first meet up.

Visualize the trailer sunk to the ramp, and the boat approaching level.

With rollers, the entire 5500 pounds is taken on the first roller.
That's going to bend no matter how big the axle is...

But maybe your boat is lighter?

Richard

From what I've seen, the weight in your keel outweighs my entire boat. I
have decided to take it to the lake and see just how it behaves during
launch and recovery. I have bunks lengthwise in the back. The front sits
on two Veed rollers, but they are at the wrong angle for this boat, and only
touch a little. Then there's the bow receiving roller that doesn't support
any weight. I want to cut off the two misaligned rollers, and put them
right. Then add the center keel 12" long slight vee right on the keel about
18" back from where the bow curve straightens. Recovering the boat is easy,
as it has side guides, but they need extending, as they are too short to
keep it straight on to the bow receiver. I think I will just put one post
roller in the front on each side.

That sounds pretty reasonable, Steve.

But first thing is going to be another launch and recovery to see how it
does. Of course, I'll pick up a few rainbows while I'm there. There's one
big flat roller at the center back that I don't even think hits the keel
during launch, recovery, or storage. This trailer was either for another
boat, or cobbed together from parts from different trailers. It's really a
piece of junk, but for this little boat, it's gonna have to do for now
anyway. Will take some pics during the project.

It's strange how you can stare at something for hours and not see what
jumps out at you from a photograph.

Lund 16 Sea Nymph open Aluminum, 40 hp 4 cyl Merc. Bench storage seat,
steering console, captain seat. Pretty simple. But lots of flat decked
carpeted floor space making it roomy enough for four to fish comfortably.
It was only $1500, and I have only spent less than $100 on it on an anchor,
ropes, and whatnot. Runs like a striped ass ape once I got the hoses fixed
to the carbs.

Steve

I was just given a Chrysler 15' trihull boat. All there except for the
outboard. Paint is a bit ugly...but the bow mounted trolling
motor...etc etc all seem to be ok. Ill try to bring it home next week if
I go south.

I think..think..its a Commando 151
http://www.allpar.com/photos/boats/commando.jpg

Any suggestions for getting a cheap outboard in California?

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766