Posted to alt.home.repair

Default small kerosene space heaters

What fuel sources do you have, now? From what you describe,
a portable kerosene is a poor choice. Plan on filling it
twice a day, and bring home 5 gal containers of fuel from
the store. 1 gal of fuel (what the tank holds) lasts about
12 hours.

If you have natural gas, I'd consider a vented wall heater.
Perhaps you can get a tank of propane, and a vented wall
heater. More expensive up front. But, the truck can keep the
tank topped off, and you don't have to do as much work. Less
stinky, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I have a woodburning stove in my basement, and I'm getting
tired of
dealing with the smoke and mess every time I try to light
the thing and
it has a strong back draft (chimney is installed correctly,
the problem
is because the stove is in the basement) I smoked up the
whole house
and nearly set myself on fire today trying to get the thing
lit. I
don't have enough wood to keep it going all the time, and
wife wouldn't
keep it fed while I'm at work anyway.

I'm thinking of taking out the stove and capping the stove
pipe, and
putting in a portable kerosene heater. About 10600 BTU's,
mostly just
to help take the chill off the basement. (Hopefully it
won't be so
chilly when I get rid of that drafty flue.)

Anybody have one of these? How often do you have to clean
the wick?
How often do you have to replace the wick? Do they stink
much? (I can
open a can of turpentine in the house and Wife can smell it
instantly
upstairs and on the opposite end of the house.) If I get a
23000 BTU
unit, can they be adjusted down or do you really have to run
them full tilt?

After today's little adventure, I think I'm going to try it
and see.
Even if it's a mistake, the heaters are not much over
$100...

Bob