Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Any difference?

Don Foreman wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:31:37 -0800, "Steve B"

On 2009-12-31, Steve B wrote:
I need a piece of 5/8" rod for a center pin for a boat roller about 12"
long. Will there be any difference in cold versus hot rolled for this
app?
Very very little roller movement over the period of time. Think I may
just
tack a washer on each end, and keep it simple. Or should I drill and put
cotter key, at least on one end so it can be removable if needed?
What is the weight of the boat? And length of the roller?

Assuming that it is just a fishing boat and the roller is under 10
inches, I would think that any rod you can find would hold up just
fine.

I decided not to use rollers on my trailer.
The keel sits on 2*12s laid on top of the steel cross members.

The problem is the angular difference between the boat and the trailer
when they first meet up.

Visualize the trailer sunk to the ramp, and the boat approaching level.

With rollers, the entire 5500 pounds is taken on the first roller.
That's going to bend no matter how big the axle is...

But maybe your boat is lighter?

Richard