Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Dishwasher breakdown ( its the pipe I think)

"whiskeyomega" @invalid
wibbled on Friday 01 January 2010 10:12

"whiskeyomega" wrote in message
It never rains but pours in this house.

My dishwasher has tipped its water onto the floor instead of pumping out
down the drain.
This is because something is broken.

I sent for the repair man ( its insured) . I was told on the phone that
the problem was because I was not using a lime scale remover and so the
dishwasher had corroded.

Oh well I take it back. It seems there may have been nothing wrong with
the dish washer at all.

It was still leaking this morning. I think it might be the plumbing behind
the washing machine , although how that could put so much water onto the
floor I don't know. Its just dripping constantly somewhere across the
mains intake.

Floor remains wet. OH remains in bed, having switched the water off so
that
it cant leak and so that I cant use the dishwasher. Cant bring in a
plumber ( he wont let me - remember he is one!) and OH wont fix it.

Oh dear. Suggest you use his bed as dirty washing up storage. Don't cook him
any lunch either.

Its a copper connection to a valve and then a plastic lead ( plastic lead
is
OK I checked it) so its on the fitting/ pipe. Cold fill only. Any
suggestions to fix it ( and find precisely where its leaking)?

If you can slide the machine(s) out far enough to see round the back but
leaving it/them connected, I would dry everything off, in particular the
pipes, then turn the water back on. If you can't see anything, run your
finger along the underside of the pipe from the back of the washing machine,
then to the machine tap then along the plumbing. You'll soon be able to feel
a couple of drops of water; it's the way I check my compression joints when
plumbing if I can't see them well enough.

It would be fairly unlikely (though not impossible) for the copper or its
joints to fail. Suspect the hose itself, the hose connections at either end
(they both screw on and each has a large rubber washer which might have died
or got damaged) and the tap valve.

Is there any possibility it's the drain side (was either machine running
over night or before you noticed the leak. Sometimes a bit of crud in the u-
trap can cause it to bubble back out of the standpipe - you might tell if
you can see if the water looks clean or dirty.

If you are able to start the machine(s) with it out, and have a torch handy,
all should become clear.

If it's the hose, they are standard (varying in length) so easy to get.

Don't know what else to suggest, but that's where I'd start.

Let us know what you find, or if I'm off teh mark, I apologise in adavnce,
my eyes are falling out of my head (up till 5am rebuilding my email and
antispam servers).

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...