Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lewis Hartswick Lewis Hartswick is offline

Default Synchros

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Actually -- the synchros which I have seen/used don't have
enough torque to do what you want, nor do they have enough to control
the flight surfaces.

They were good at feedback from the remote control surface to
tell the controller what position it has reached, so the servo motor (a
different thing) could be told to keep trying until it got there. Best
is to power one end's rotor with the AC, and compare that voltage to the
voltage induced in the rotor at the other end. The difference will be
zero when the two are pointing the same direction. Amplify the
difference and use it to power the AC servo motor to position things.
Still not what you really want on what you are building.

Don, there were basically three types of "Synchros".
Generators, Motors, and Control Transformers.(CT)
The ones that used an amplifier and servo drive motor
were the CTs. That is what was used in PPI scopes
to control the rotating yoke. (I forget the size
designations) The Generators and Motors would
produce a fair amount of actual positional force.
The Generators were not as suitable for an output
end as they were not damped, but the general config.
was the same as the motor. (I had a pair of those
from the surplus when our outfit was broken up in
1952 and may still be in the "milk house" in PA)
The CTs were constructed with a completely different
rotor and could not be powered like the motors.
Finally something I have had experience with. :-)
...lew...