Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Can't lift grime of table saw

On Dec 31, 10:56*am, Sam Takoy wrote:

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in
a garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to
lift the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime
seems to move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger),
but it's just too sticky to come up.

If it moves but doesn't come up, try a razor blade scraper.

There's another cleaner that wasn't in your list, that often works
for me; waterless hand cleaner. Lanolin is the old standby,
and the imitation-lanolin waterless hand cleaners are OK substitutes.
Wipe off with a damp rag afterward.