Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11030 Ignoramus11030 is offline

Default Any difference?

On 2009-12-31, Steve B wrote:
I need a piece of 5/8" rod for a center pin for a boat roller about 12"
long. Will there be any difference in cold versus hot rolled for this
app?
Very very little roller movement over the period of time. Think I may
just
tack a washer on each end, and keep it simple. Or should I drill and put
cotter key, at least on one end so it can be removable if needed?

What is the weight of the boat? And length of the roller?

Assuming that it is just a fishing boat and the roller is under 10
inches, I would think that any rod you can find would hold up just
fine.

16' Lund Alum with interior. Not heavy. Roller about a foot long. Just
wondering about rusting or one wearing more than the other.

If you apply marine grease (Pennzoil, not the biodegradable water
based crap), it should last forever. Strength obviously far exceeds the
need.

Even with daily use, it will take decades to begin to wear.