Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Can't lift grime of table saw

Sam Takoy wrote in -
september.org:

Hi,

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in
a garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to
lift the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime
seems to move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger),
but it's just too sticky to come up. Here are two pictures:

http://freeboundaries.com/grime1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/grime2.jpg

I have tried:

Scotch Brite
Steel wool
Sand paper

in combinations with:

WD40
Goof off
Acetone

acetone evaporates too fast.try xylene or lacquer thinner.
Outside....

dishwasher soap

Only good for organics.

baking soda

VERY mild.

mineral spirits

Nothing works!

Any further ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sam

try kerosene or charcoal lighter fluid. tar paper is a hydrocarbon product.
Kerosene also leaves a rust-preventing waxy film.
you may have to use paper towels or cloths soaked in kerosene,give it time
to dissolve the gunk,and for the towels to absorb the crud.

don't use it around open flames.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik