Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Question

terry wrote:
On Dec 31, 12:33 pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
On 12/31/2009 12:36 AM, thebigguy wrote:

I have a small wiring job to complete and was wondering if it is
better to use the screw terminals or the holes on the back to wire
outlets and such?

Fact is that screw terminal give greater surface contact with the wires
where the back stabs only grab with the edge of a thin piece of metal.
You don't see stab connectors on heave electric machinery for that
reason. The contact points would get hot. Screw terminals are a better
connection in my opinion; (if you remember to tighten them)

Agree with: "Fact is that screw terminal give greater surface contact
with the wires..............."
Including the ones where each screw tightens down a small metal plate
onto the wire inserted below it.

Recently replaced several 30+ year old duplex outlets adjacent to work
bench; making sure that replacements were good quality ones;
definitely not 'Back Stabbers' or the 'Poke wire in a hole and hope
for the best ............ ' style!

In last 40 years, touch wood, never had any duplex outlets problems
due to care and prompt replacement with good quality items.

But every Christmas, New Year period there are home fires often
attributed to an electrical problem, sometimes deaths or people burnt
out of their homes.

PS. Remember to replace batteries in non AC operated smoke detectors
etc. New Year good time to do it!

Before or after the new years party full of drunk smokers?

TDD