Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew Erickson Andrew Erickson is offline

Default Waffle iron light.

In article ,
D Yuniskis wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Erickson wrote:

How long does it take to bake waffles? I am sure their
hefty thickness must dramatically increase cooking time.
But, is it really long enough to venture far from the iron?

I can't say I have a precise timing, but it's somewhere around a few
(maybe five?) minutes. It does vary a fair bit for different waffle
irons (depending upon the depth of the waffles) and probably the precise
batter used, too. Commercial irons are probably somewhat quicker.

Ah, OK. So, there is a fair bit of "mass" represented by
the waffle batter. Is it enough to noticeably cool the
iron (i.e., does the light come on as soon as you slo
the batter into the iron and then stay on for a fair
length of time as the iron tries to reheat itself)?

The light/heater does come on pretty much immediately upon introducing
waffle batter; I don't know how much of that is from the batter itself
and how much is heat loss from exposing the grid to the air. At least
on my iron, the thermostat has little hysteresis, and so reacts quite
quickly to small changes.

Being hungry, I decided to run an experiment in the name of science. On
a setting between medium and medium-high, it took about 8 minutes to
cook a waffle (which is, of course, the same as the reheat time, since
the "waffle done" indicator is the heater turning off). In this
experiment, the sample size was 2, and the resulting waffles were a
lovely (and toothsome) golden brown.

The handful of commercial waffle irons I can recall seeing use a
separate timer, and presumably have more powerful heating elements to
better keep the iron up to temperature.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot