Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default O/T: Gotta Love It

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:02:58 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Larry
Blanchard wrote:

I missed the original post but the above reprint makes me wonder. How
did we ever build the Empire State Building, Hoover Dam, the Panama
Canal, etc. before the advent of cell phones - or any phones in some
cases?

Slower.

Before the telegraph cables were laid across the Atlantic, how did
governments communicate between Europe and North America?

Slower.

Cell phones and email just allow us to share information faster.

As for the "cell phones while driving" sub thread, we have the "fine
and points" law going into effect here Jan 1. Personally, I'd rather
have the right to mount high energy lasers or surface to surface
missiles in my vehicle and simple take out most of the assholes on the
road,

That's my preference, too.

but the courts here seem to not want to deal with grey areas like
"driving without due care and attention" so our lawmakers are having to
give the cops specific, non-negotiable offence to deal with the
dip****s on the road.

Well, at least they're starting to take care of it. I went into a
MANN theater several years back and the girl introducing the movie
(not a normal thing in most theaters) asked everyone to pull out their
phones. She gave them a few seconds and then asked them to turn them
completely off so everyone else could enjoy the movie. She explained
that she said "OFF" because she knew that when they were set to
"vibrate", the nice cell owner would take the call and be talking all
the way out to the lobby.

That got some really loud applause from us folks who didn't use cell
phones. I just wish that happened at every theater and gathering.

Here the joke is "young woman on a cell phone in a Sunfire", except is
ISN'T a joke.

The bonus is that they're most of who I see in the ditch when we get a
bit of blowing snow and icy roads.

That's kinda satisfying, isn't it?

I still want my lasers...

You betcha! How about side-aimed lasers under the car to take out the
tires on a car you're passing who held up the line 30-deep on a 2-lane
highway?

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?