Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_3_] Jay-T[_3_] is offline

Default Electrical Question

The Daring Dufas wrote:
thebigguy wrote:
I have a small wiring job to complete and was wondering if it is
better to use the screw terminals or the holes on the back to wire
outlets and such?

Some devices have holes in the back and the screw tightens a wire
clamp inside the hole, those types are fine. There is a lot of
mistrust of the "back-stab" wiring devices that have a spring loaded
clip that holds the stripped conductor when it is pushed into the
hole. There have been a lot of problems with them and the back-stab
wiring devices that will accommodate #12 solid wire are no longer
produced. I still see those that will take #14 solid wire in the
supply houses.
TDD

What he said. There are "back stab" receptacles (bad), and there are
"back-wired" receptacles (good). The back-wired ones involve tightening a
screw down on the straight bare wire to secure the connection. But the
regular receptacles where you wrap the wire around the screw and tighten it
are also good. Some people think these are the best overall.