Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default more electrical installation questions

Nate Nagel wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:

*No problem Nate. Better to ask now before or while you are doing it
rather than after. I have used Krylon acrylic spray paint on wiring
devices. I've noticed that putting the device near heat seems to
harden the paint. No need for a receptacle for an attic exhaust fan,
but you need a shut off switch near it. You don't need any special
boxes for bathroom receptacles. However current code calls for a 20
amp circuit for the bathroom and with the high horsepower blowdryers
that are out there I highly recommend upgrading.

right, that was always in my mental plans. Also is a new homerun to
split the bedrooms into two 15A circuits rather than a single 15A for
the whole floor as it is currently. (I would just pull 20A but that
would mean I'd have to do it all at once, I couldn't pick away at it
piece by piece.) So I would probably pull them simultaneously and
actually incorporate this into the same "project." I guess I would then
just blank off one space in the new box in the bathroom and leave a pull
string so then the next "project" would be installation of the bathroom
exhaust fan.

Getting a permit and inspections is not a bad idea. You could go and
talk to your building department and tell them what you are doing and
your time frame and ask how they want to do it. It is a good idea to
the inspectors on your side early on. Once they see the quality of
your work they may be a little looser on some of the inspections. It
is a good idea to have had inspections done for insurance purposes and
for when it comes time to sell the house.

I'll take that as a compliment although you have described my
professional relationship with a few inspectors, I get lots of slack at
work because they know the guys that actually do the work are
conscientious. Unfortunately, I don't know any inspectors in the
jurisdiction where I actually live, nor would any of those guys be doing
residential electrical inspections

Take the cuter half out and do something that she likes to do to
maintain the balance.

I suggested maybe we should go to an autocross together, but that just
got me a surly look. She claims not to like drag racing either. Is
there a group that can help me with this?

nate

snapped some pics while cleaning up. Not the most frightening
electrical work I've ever seen, but I wouldn't want to claim it as my own.

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/house/nopermit.html

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.