Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee[_4_] Hell Toupee[_4_] is offline

Default HOA to evict 6-year old

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Hell Toupee" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Hell Toupee" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I guess you're right. It would be the best thing for society at large
if the little girl was dumped into Florida's "system".
Too bad her grandparents put their comfort first, isn't it? They made a
choice, reinforced over years, to put their granddaughter's future at
risk. She pays the penalty for having lousy parents and grandparents.

Knowing several foster parents, there's a good chance she could end up
being raised by more responsible adults. You know - the kind who put the
child's interests ahead of their own. Unlike granny and gramps in this
story.

Put yourself in the exact same position as the grandparents. Now,
beginning on the day when their daughter lost custody of the little girl,
what would YOU have done differently?

It should be obvious. As soon as I agreed to take custody of the child, I
would've put my home on the market, and at a price that would've assured a
quick sale. Back in 2004-mid-2006, homes were selling almost as fast as
they were listed. I would've also met with the HOA people to let them know
my changed circumstances, including my intention to sell out. Why? Because
that would show them I was a good guy and honoring their rules. In return,
that would motivate them to help me find a buyer so I could clear out
fast. Heck, there probably were people in the community back then who
would've been glad to buy it as an investment.

But this couple did not make selling out and moving their priority. These
characters dicked around. They either made no attempt at all until
recently to sell.......

I must've missed that in the news story. Where in the story did it indicate
WHEN IN THE SIX YEAR PERIOD they began trying to sell the house?

According to the article at the link below, the grandparents took in
their granddaughter in 2004. They made no attempt to sell their home
until sometime in 2006. They didn't make a serious attempt, either,
offering only a 5% discount off the appraised value. Not only is a 5%
discount a joke (10% is the absolute minimum if a quick sale is
desired), they hadn't paid for the home in the first place. They'd
inherited it, so they could've afforded an even more substantial
discount - but, like I said, they were greedy.

The HOA tried to work with them for three years, and they stubbornly
refused to cooperate. In another article, the grandmother admits that
in April 2005, she reached an agreement with the HOA that she would
abide by the association's rules by October 1st, 2006. In other
words, the HOA bent over backwards giving this family time to settle
their affairs and move out. The grandparents then broke the agreement.
The HOA sued them in 2007.

So yes, the grandparent's asshattery has been ongoing for years.

http://www.aarp.org/family/articles/eviction.html