Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default LED 'lifetime'?

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:28:58 -0600, (Pete)
wrote:

In article ,
John Fields wrote:

"IMPORTANT: To extend the life of the LEDs allow 20 seconds between
turning ON & OFF. Do not turn ON & OFF repeatedly."

What they're talking about is a _turn-off_ surge, so I suspect that 20
second wait will allow the thing to do whatever it needs to in order to
do a soft turn-off.

Turn *off* surge?? Where would that happen? I suppose there could be
thermal shock as another poster suggested but otherwise I can't see
what a sudden current cut-off could do.

---
L dI
E = ------
dt
---

Could this be some kind of weirdly spreading myth?

I doubt it.

More than likely it's that the same (cheap) design has found its way
into many related products.

Strange, though, that it covers such a range -- from my little 2-LED
torch to a 'super bright" 30-LED wand.

---
Scaling of the same bad design, probably.

Take one apart and post what you find in it?
---

And, as I said, all advertised
by UK sales outlets. None in the US that I can find.

---
OK

JF