Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default In our fondest dreams ...

On Dec 30, 5:28*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:35:17 -0600, Swingman wrote:
Congressional Reform Act of 2010

snip of some excellent ideas

I have an even simpler idea which, of course, also doesn't have a
snowballs chance in hell.

One of the big problems is congress/senate members sending pork to their
home state to buy their re-election. *So:

All representatives and senators, after their initial election, will have
no choice of venue when running for re-election. *They will be randomly
assigned a state/district and must convince the voters of that state to
re-elect them.

Then they'll just send the pork home to THAT district, and campaign
for District Y based on their track record of bringing home ample
bacon. Re-election rates for incumbents would likely remain static.

Nah. If anybody wanted serious change, two things need to happen:

1) Some sort of serious lobbying reform, and

2) Public financing of all federal campaigns, only.

There is no single factor that corrupts our political process/system
as much as the infiltration of money into its core.

The other corrupting elements, in aggregate, don't come anywhere CLOSE
to measuring up.