Sam Soltan

Default Finish for Purpleheart for best color?

I've gotten a reply to the same question. The person said to use "ArmorAll -
(tm)"
"Nova" wrote in message
Ian Dodd wrote:

snip

Never having worked with PH before, what can we do to preserve or even
enhance the color a little? Will a straight oil deepen the color?

Applying oil with cause the purpleheart to turn brown. Avoid oil based
finishes.

What about using the end grain? Dyeing or "cheating" the color goes
against my grain (pun intended) but is that something to consider?
Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance from a newby and his novice
kids.

There has been a lot of discussion about what causes purpleheart to
darken. Some say it's caused by UV light. Others say it's oxidation. I
tend to go with the UV theory as I have had a piece in kept in the
basement for over 3 years and it is still purple. Cuts from the same
piece, finished with shellac, and exposed to sunlight have turned brown in
within a few months.

In my opinion, purpleheart that has turned brown still looks nice,
especially when contrasted against maple.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA