Posted to rec.woodworking
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default In our fondest dreams ...

"Leon" wrote in message

You know in communist countries and dictatorships the people are
required to vote.

Some democratic countries (including Australia, Belgium, Switzerland,
Mexico, Argentina and Greece) have a similar requirement, and it seems to
work quite well for them.

The people or the government, seems to work well or what you have read?

If voter turnout upward of 85% is a good thing (and I think it is) then I
think mandatory voting works. Of course if you don't like the results of
some elections and you'd rather certain people stayed home on election day
then I see how you'd think it was a bad idea.

All you have to do is deliberately spoil your ballot and you vote for
nobody, or there could be a "None of the above" choice.

Actually all you have to do is not vote at all.

Sure, if you didn't mind the $1,000.00 fine applied to your property taxes
(or whatever sanction is applied)--be my guest.

Mandatory voting would be a modest infringement on our liberty, but it
would serve such a compelling public interest that IMO it would be worth
it.

Shortly behind that would be those people that make sure you vote they way
they want you to.

Has that happened in Australia, Belgium, Switzerland etc.? No? Then what
are you moaning about?