Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default In our fondest dreams ...

On Dec 30, 1:51*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Neil Brooks wrote:On Dec 30, 1:15=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Tim Daneliuk tun....@t=

undraware.com wrote:
Miller's right: If you don't pay taxes you should have no right to vote
and influence how that money gets spent. =A0The only exception I'd make
is for people who've volunteered to serve the nation in the military.

I'd make a few more exceptions:

[snipped for brevity]

Scrap all of that.

How about a minimum IQ standard???

Read "The Mismeasure of Man" by Stephen Jay Gould, and I think you'll
reconsider that suggestion. The *only* thing that IQ can be scientifically
demonstrated to measure is performance on IQ tests. Nonetheless, it's been
used in the past as a justification for some horrific acts of discrimination.
Among other things, such discrimination resulted in perhaps millions of deaths
in the first half of the 20th century, when vast numbers of people attempting
to flee the carnage of WWII, and the destruction by deliberate famine of the
Russian peasant class under Stalin[*], were not permitted to enter the United
States because of harsh quotas imposed by the Immigration Restriction Act of
1924, which severely limited the immigration of the supposedly congenitally
intellectually "inferior" eastern and southern Europeans.

[*] "I Chose Freedom" by Viktor Kravchenko is a compelling eyewitness account
of the horrors of Stalinist Russia. [Scribner, New York, 1946]

Mine was sarcasm ;-)