Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default In our fondest dreams ...

On 12/30/2009 2:45 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

"I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but
the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to
exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to
take it from them but to inform their discretion."
...Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, Swing, but I'm with Jefferson on this one - I'm more inclined to
believe that the best thing we can do is to take all steps necessary to
ensure a well-educated and well-informed electorate.

No problem, Morris, and I respect your opinion in particular.

My contention is still that it is a direct result of this (idealistic)
concept that has, demonstrably and observably, insured the very
_absence_ of a well-educated and well-informed electorate.

Looking around, it is difficult to surmise otherwise?

It is a sad state of affairs, IMO.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08