Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default In our fondest dreams ...

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

Elected officials should not win because they simply got a majority of the
vote, they shoud get a majority of the registered voters vote. For
example
if there are 10 registered voters, only 3 show up to vote, and all 3 vote
for candidate "A", that is not good enough. Candidate "A" must get 6 or
more votes to win.

OK, but suppose Candidate A and his opponent B are both chumps, each with
lukewarm support from only one of the ten voters -- but A is *opposed* by
all
of the other eight. If the one voter that supports B, and five of the
eight
that oppose A, show up and vote for B, he's in, even though he's a chump.

Trying to keep up with that... ;~) I think if you simply did not vote
unless you wanted a candidate to win... If during that election if neither
A or B won, Candidates C and D would be up and so on untill one got 5 or
votes. Not a fool proof method with out problems but far better than what
we settle for now, IMHO. Remember the candidate had to get more than 50%
of the votes from registered voters. If 49% of registered voters vote
neither candidate wins.
I think that if we had candidates that we actually wanted rather than what
we are present with by each party we may be more inclined to actually go and
vote.

That's actually not as far-fetched as it seems. I think we saw something
similar in the 2008 primaries: Hillary Clinton has very high disapproval
ratings, even among Democrats, and I suspect that a substantial number of
the
votes that Obama received were votes against her, not for him. Meanwhile,
on
the Republican side, several of the candidates appeared to be nutjobs;
probably many of the votes McCain received were votes against them, not
for
him.

Not voting is a vote that the candidates are not wanted and should be cast
aside.

Better yet, require the choice "None Of The Above" to appear on every
ballot.
If NOTA "wins", have another election in which the losing candidates are
not
allowed to participate. Repeat until someone wins. Or leave the office
vacant.

There, you have my idea. I would go for that too.