Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default In our fondest dreams ...

On Dec 30, 1:15*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Miller's right: If you don't pay taxes you should have no right to vote
and influence how that money gets spent. *The only exception I'd make
is for people who've volunteered to serve the nation in the military.

I'd make a few more exceptions:

- the severely disabled: as a society, I believe we have a moral obligation to
provide for those who through no fault of their own are unable -- as
distinguished from unwilling -- to provide for themselves, yet that inability
should not disqualify them from voting

- the short-term unemployed: being laid off after years of working shouldn't
cost a person the right to vote

- those who volunteer to serve society in other ways besides the military,
e.g. in hospitals, soup kitchens, shelters for battered women or the homeless,
and so on

- the retired: while those collecting social security may be a net drain
*now*, most of them are certainly a net positive when considered over the
entire span of their working lives

Scrap all of that.

How about a minimum IQ standard???