Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default In our fondest dreams ...

In article , Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Miller's right: If you don't pay taxes you should have no right to vote
and influence how that money gets spent. The only exception I'd make
is for people who've volunteered to serve the nation in the military.

I'd make a few more exceptions:

- the severely disabled: as a society, I believe we have a moral obligation to
provide for those who through no fault of their own are unable -- as
distinguished from unwilling -- to provide for themselves, yet that inability
should not disqualify them from voting

- the short-term unemployed: being laid off after years of working shouldn't
cost a person the right to vote

- those who volunteer to serve society in other ways besides the military,
e.g. in hospitals, soup kitchens, shelters for battered women or the homeless,
and so on

- the retired: while those collecting social security may be a net drain
*now*, most of them are certainly a net positive when considered over the
entire span of their working lives