Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default But I thought tree give off carbon dioxide

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:03:08 -0500, the infamous
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:25:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 30, 12:37 am, Larry Fishel wrote:
"But I thought tree give off carbon dioxide "

Um...no. Or did I miss the joke?
Actually trees only remove CO2 for a relatively short time. If the
trees are burned for firewood, they give off CO2. If they are allowed
to rot after dying, again CO2 released. If they are used for timber
then no CO2 released until a house burns or is wrecked so a new house
can be built.

That's why they are referred to as "carbon sinks"

What burns me up (sorry) is when the tree huggers all use "natural"
wood stoves, buring wood they so often defended. The result is that
they are putting out at least 40 times the amount of CO2 than those of
us who bought high-efficiency gas furnaces.

--
It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.
-- Garrison Keillor

Or the Greenies buying new electric cars - because they are environmentally
friendly..

Regardless of what it took to make all that plastic in the first place...