Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default HOA to evict 6-year old

On 12/30/09 09:56 am, HeyBub wrote:

"[FLORIDA] Kimberly, a 6-year-old in the custody of her grandparents, is
facing eviction by local law enforcement because her grandparents live in a
retirement community. The child has lived in the house her whole life, as
her mother is unable to care for her due to unspecified drug problems. Now
authorities plan to remove the girl from the only home she's ever known and
place her in foster care with strangers due to a homeowners association
policy."

I agree. 'God's Waiting Room' (Florida) is no place for a child!

http://www.inquisitr.com/43825/flori...ct-6-year-old/

I had read of a somewhat similar case (except that the child in question
was a high-school senior whose sole surviving parent had died. The
grandparents were the only family members with whom she could live
without having to change schools part-way through her senior year). A
while later, at a "Senior Expo," I asked the manager of a senior-housing
complex what would have happened in his complex in such circumstances.
He said that since they get special tax (property tax?) breaks for
senior-only housing, he would have had to evict the girl also.

I am no fan of HOAs and live in a community without one, but can we be
sure that in the case in question there are not some other relevant factors?

Perce