Silvan

Default A Gloat or Did I Get Screwed?

Swingman wrote:

I would never consider cutting expensive hardwood to a random length, just
for storage purposes, without some prior planning.

My philosophy, more or less forced by a small shop space and limited
budget, is to let the lumber company store the lumber until I need it.

I'll add to my last post... I don't just cut it at random for storage
purposes. I make a plan, figure out what dimensions I have to have, and
what dimensions I can use, and then I go shopping. I store only off-cuts.

My trouble has more to do with the nature of the material. I mostly use
walnut now, and walnut comes in extremely random lengths and widths.

If my cutlist wants a certain width and length, I have to be ready to change
it all around on the spur of the moment. Maybe I don't get the width I
need, and the longest length I need is longer than half the length of any
of the boards, so I have to get creative.

I don't see how a cutlist program would do me a lick of good. Not in
walnut, particularly. With other species, I'm more likely to find a dozen
boards that are within an inch of being the same size.

Besides...

[silvan@giganator] ~
-apt-cache search cut|grep list
lslk - a lock file lister
mingw32 - Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) compiler
mingw32-binutils - Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) binutils
[silvan@giganator] ~
-apt-cache search cut|grep wood
[silvan@giganator] ~
-

Linux ain't got no cutlist program, Chief. If it did, Debian would have
heard about it by now.

Maybe I should start one.

At the cost of furniture grade hardwoods today, the savings by doing so
can be considerable, especially if you have to make a profit on the
project.

Agreed, but I waste practically nothing. When a piece gets down to less
than one square inch, then it goes in the trash. Anything bigger than that
gets used somewhere, or stored for such time as I can use it. (I'm getting
into making wooden models of late, so small scraps are very useful.) This
stuff is *expensive*!!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/