Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Mounting plasma TV on the wall only to find that my studs aren'tflush with the sheet rock!

On Dec 29, 7:54*pm, Unused Classified wrote:
Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. *I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. *Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

What kind of studfinder are you using. Magnetic may pickup on the
nails but I dont think the sonic type would pick up a stud with a 1/2
inch gape between the stud and sheetrock. Maybe you have some old
wooden lathe between the sheet rock and studs.. I woould use my
studfinder to map out the area and see whats going on behind the
walls.

Jimmie