Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Mounting plasma TV on the wall only to find that my studs aren't flush with the sheet rock!

"Oren" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:54:11 -0800 (PST), Unused Classified
wrote:

Hello,
I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the
stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart.
I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in the area but it
seems like after I clear the sheet rock there is a half inch of dead
space before the studs. I haven't checked the whole wall but it seems
this is the case in the relevant area. Is this common? I bought
longer screws but I'm still hesitant to hang it on top of empty space.
One idea is to use 1/2 inch metal washers, if there is such a thing,
to fortify the screws.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

Use 3/4 in plywood (birch), cut to size needed. Span the 24" on center
and mount it. Then mount the TV mount.

A plasma TV mount will need lag bolts, at least four. See instructions
for the mount.

In lieu of plywood, two 1x4 wood for the mounting span.

Sounds like you have Resilient channel for sound proofing ?? or maybe
strapping ??? Either way you may have to open the wall up to add
bracing...Spanning the studs with 1X4 strips will just crush the sheetrock
into the studs as you tighten the lags or break the strips or both......You
need to get something in there first or perhaps use a LARGE piece of 3/4
inch finished plwood and screw through the sheetrock and strapping or
Resilient channel into the studs then attach the mount to the 3/4 plywood
...Might look kinda strange though..LOL...Take the mount back and buy a nice
stand might be the easiest choice...HTH...My dad took his down off the wall
and bought a stand...He was tired of looking up at the ceiling to watch
TV...Some things look better in pictures then actually function well....I
don't have mine on the wall either...Same reason...