Posted to alt.home.repair
gwandsh gwandsh is offline

Default New sink install - leak issue

On Dec 29, 4:45*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
gwandsh wrote:
Hi all

I recently installed a new bathroom vanity, sink and faucet. *I am
getting a small leak at the point where the large nut tightens the
drain assembly onto the bottom of the sink, compressing the black
washer onto the bottom of the sink drain.

I have seen sink installs before, checked the net for hints, and even
did a couple quite some time ago. *I double checked the sink/vanity
that was removed from the space, and also on line, so I know the
washers on the drain assembly are in the right order. *The drain
flange has a good ring of plumbers putty under it.

The sink itself is an ornamental handpainted model, and may have some
slight irregularities at the sink drain. *Because the sink is somewhat
more delicate than the standard white porcelain models, I don't want
to risk overtightening the nut.

So what I am hoping to get are pointers on what the plumber-savvy
folks would do to handle a leak on the underside of the sink drain?
Can I add a thin bead of plumbers putty where the black washer meets
the sink, in an attempt to fill any irregularities the washer can't
handle? *I am reluctant to use silicone at that point, just in case it
isn't successful and I have to dismantle it again.

Thanks for any tips

If you've got water that's any kind of hard, put a bucket under the sink for
a few days and see if the leak heals itself.

Thanks all for the responses. To fill in some gaps in the info:
I have already re-installed this a couple of times.
I use a pretty thick roll of plumbers putty. Perhaps tightening has
squeezed out too much.
I *did* try the finger tight nut solution. I then tried tightening a
half turn and re-testing. After 4-5 half turns, I stopped in fear of
damaging the sink.
To Red Green (one of my fav shows, BTW): If I have over-tightened the
black washer (I assume that's the "cone" washer, it does have that
shape), does it need to get replaced before I try to re-install?
Can I use some plumbers putty along with the cone washer to make the
seal on the underside of the sink?

Cheers