Swingman

Default A Gloat or Did I Get Screwed?

I would never consider cutting expensive hardwood to a random length, just
for storage purposes, without some prior planning.

My philosophy, more or less forced by a small shop space and limited budget,
is to let the lumber company store the lumber until I need it.

My personal experience is that it is better to buy on a project by project
basis, AND use a good cutlist program when buying. A good cutlist program
allows you to immediately chalk and rough cut for maximum utilization of
materials, and makes storage, and waste, much less of an issue.

At the cost of furniture grade hardwoods today, the savings by doing so can
be considerable, especially if you have to make a profit on the project.

Just my tuppence ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Bob G" wrote in message

Which leads me to ask you guys what lenght you guys
purchase (or cut) your lumber to when you store it...?

I have a cramped shop... and can store up to about a 6
foot slab without any space problems...8 foot is too long
to "fit"... BUT most of the "wood" I do find seems to be
in the 7 to 9 foot range also...

which means I have to cut it ..to store it !

4 foot is too damn short for some projects and 2 foot much too short for
others...So It seems that I cut the slabs about 5 foot in lenght which

lets
me store 5 foot sections and 3 foot sections...